Thursday, December 07, 2006

More Movie Talk

I've felt kinda chatty about movies lately. Therefore, I haven't gotten any more new designs done for the shop. Sigh. But it's not like I haven't been busy or anything--I've been raking in the hours at work and I'm feeling pretty burned out. Yay for the holiday season...

Anyway, a friend of mine lent me "Tetsuo: The Ironman", which I watched tonight and enjoyed. Those who don't appreciate surreal/arthouse flicks should stay far, far away from it--but if you're anything like me and love to watch not only the mind-numbing entertainment flicks (...like Pirates of the Carribean...) but also films that challenge the cinematic industry and what you perceive as art/film, then you should check this one out. It's older, came out in the 80s, and it's so....crazy. I honestly don't even know what to say about it. Seen "Eraserhead" by David Lynch? Did ya like it as much as I? Cool. This movie is kinda like that. Only faster, darker, much more graphic (...it's not rated for a reason), and more mysterious. It's pretty intense, but boy could I ever appreciate how it was filmed! The camerawork (it's all in b/w, by the way) is perfect and edgy and fits right in with the futuristic man vs. machine theme of the flick. Oh, and did I mention that there's also stop-motion involved? My absolute favorite form of animation. So, overall a really neat flick. Worthy of another watch to absorb it all.

This year there were two magician-themed movies that came out: "The Illusionist" and "The Prestige". I'm in a bit of a conundrum. The Illusionist comes out to dvd first (apparently this week) and I'm debating which of the two I should end up buying. They both looked really good (though I wasn't able to see either in the theaters) and got decent reviews. However, I'm not entirely sure I want to own them both (from the trailers at least, they just looked a little too similar--both being period flicks about magicians). So, I either buy The Illusionist, or wait for The Prestige to come out. I was told The Prestige rocked, but none of my friends went and saw The Illusionist, so I have no way of comparing the two. Ugh. Decisions suck.

I think I'll go lock myself in my studio and try to get some artwork done instead.

No comments: