Saturday, August 16, 2008

Quilts, Books, And A Hint Of Fall

So, in my short break from painting, I've been busily quilting up a storm. I'm really pleased with how my first quilt is coming along! My goal is to have it completed by the end of September, and since I'm nearly done sewing the quilt top, that goal is looking mighty feasible. Because I have no sewing machine, it's being done entirely by hand. There's quite a few spots where the squares don't line up perfectly, but I'm so happy that it even looks *remotely* like a quilt that it doesn't bother me at all.And this little one is quite pleased that I'm making a quilt as well...Also, since Fall is just around the corner, I've been splurging on some wonderful old hardback used books, found on Amazon, Etsy, and various local used bookstores. I'm a sucker for classic literature, so I'm now plugging my way through a beautiful old copy of Jane Eyre with woodcut illustrations, and have a splendid copy of Little Men waiting in the line-up.

This amazing copy of Wind In The Willows is resting on my bookshelf until I have time to pour over it. I do love that book and this particular copy is illustrated by the amazing Arthur Rackham (my third Rackham book thus far...a collection seems to be brewing...). I think the best part though is that this is one seriously used book--a mild stain on the cover and very deep musty smell. Like it was thrown in an attic and forgotten about.

Pure bliss. :)

I'm off to get some sun and do a little reading! Enjoy your weekends!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

i LOVE the patterns on your quilt. :) And your books are making me jealous! ;)

Eggman Studios said...

Thanks! I can't wait to show it to you! I'm thinking of making some neat quilted scarves for Christmas gifts this year too, so you'll definitely be getting something quilty. :) And the next time you're this way, we *have* to go to the local used bookstores. Now is the time--lots of good stuff.

Rachel said...

I'm thinking I'll come over on the 29th in the afternoon. What's your schedule then?

Eggman Studios said...

Sweet! I'm working 9-3 at the Poulsbo studio. So we can totally get together the second I'm off and go treasure hunting. :)

Art Kitten said...

Oh how I have wanted to try my hand at a quilt! Yours looks so lovely! So does your really pretty kitty!

Anonymous said...

I'm in! Just kidding. Your quilt is lovely -- the colors are so nice together. I'm anxious to see it once it's all together. Quilted scarves are a great idea.

Eggman Studios said...

Thanks, gang! I think if I can make a quilt then, seriously, *anyone* can make a quilt. Since I'm pretty much the equivalent of a chimp with no hands when it comes to sewing projects.