Friday, August 08, 2008

My Two Favorite Places in Victoria, BC

So, as I said previously, I took a wee day trip up to Victoria, BC in ye ol' Canada on last Tuesday. Just me, my mum, and the nostalgia that is Victoria. I use to trek up there once a year way back in schooling days. It's been a long, long time.

My goodness, it was fun.

The Royal BC Museum is still one of my all-time fave museums. The following pics were all taken from there (I had literally 95 pictures taken from the BC Museum by the time I got home--mostly taken of the wildlife diorama displays...guess I like animals).I love the amount of details the wildlife dioramas have. They look so real, but because everything is still, they have an eeriness to them. I can only imagine the place at night after the crowds have gone home. Massively spooky.A stuffed deer wandering the likes of a fake forest...Different corals housed in glass curio cabinets.I want this little man carving. Seriously so. Want.One of the coolest things about this museum, is that on one floor, they've recreated an entire city street in half-scale as it would be at night (very much like a Mainstreet from Disneyland--only at night and put inside a building, if that makes sense). The windows are warmly lit, the theater is playing a Charlie Chaplin flick, some of the buildings you can even wander through and look at the period furnishings, hear horses walking the cobblestone streets, and even smell the food being baked in the kitchen. It's amazing, and one of those places that when you visit as a kid you never forget.
There's me, looking at neat artifacts from days long gone.

Then there's Miniature World. An entire museum devoted to miniatures. I've always loved this place immensely.Very mini people--no taller than 1/4". And yet, they're having a splendid time.The day......turns to night.


Neat, huh?

Also ate at some fabulous pubs, making me feel a bit like I was in London again.

Happy weekend, everyone! Hope it's a good one! I'll be busily working away in my studio--making prints, making paintings, taking pictures, and drinking lots and lots of coffee. :)

6 comments:

Rachel said...

i totally meant to go to miniature world when I was there last time, but we just ran out of time. Trying to fit in the Butshart gardens too was just too much.

Eggman Studios said...

Agreed. I actually wanted to do more than just two musuems and some food places, but you can only fit in so much in one day when you have to catch the boat. Seeing the Gardens alone is worthy of an entire day.

Karlyn said...

Haha...my parents used to take us to Victoria every year and we would always go to the miniature museum. I didn't think anybody else went there. =)

Eggman Studios said...

Really?! I always thought the same thing when I went there! It's on all the tourist brochures, but it's such a hole-in-the-wall place that it never really felt like it was super duper popular or anything.

Art Kitten said...

I think you should come and visit me in Wisconsin, and I will take you to the House on the Rock. If you like this, you will love it there. It is one of my all time favorite places!

Eggman Studios said...

Oh wow. I just googled it and, yes, that is a place I would spend *all* *day* in. So, so cool.