Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ornamental

A new year! A new beginning! So many fresh possibilities...

I promised some photos earlier of my wee Christmas tree and indeed, have not forgotten! I'm just really behind the ball on uploading my camera images.
Last month I made a small pile of these kitschy-Victorian-inspired ornaments and am pretty psyched with the outcome. The moustached men portraits were purchased earlier in the year (from alteredvintage on Etsy) and I knew instantly they had to adorn my strange little tree in some fashion.I collaged them onto colorful paint swatch samples, which I glittered and adorned for added pizazz. The backs have newspaper collaged to them as well. Add some peppermint stripe twine for a hanger and you're golden.
Most of the ornaments are handmade, either by me or other artists...

At night, the whole tree looks pretty magical. I hate to take it down...

On the art front, I'm painting up a storm and working on lots of smaller pieces that shall be unveiled one by one. One of my resolutions this year is to paint *more*. I really admire folks that can paint one piece a day. Dude, that is hard to do. I don't think I can be that productive, but I would like to bump up my production a little bit more.

Here's a new piece, freshly finished:"Luck Has Everything To Do With It" acrylic on wood laminate tag, 3.5x5"This particular painting is a bit of a play on "luck"--four leaf clovers, lucky numbers, horseshoes...or in this case, a horseshoe crab. Which I believe is far luckier. Those dang things are overtaking my sketchbooks right now. They're just so weird.

Back to painting I go! Happy New Year, gang!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Your tree is amazing!! Particularly the wee Zissou!! ;)

Happy New Year to you!!

Eggman Studios said...

Haha! Thank you, my dear! :)