Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Little of This, A Little of That

The power never did go out, alas, so instead I had a "faux power outage" (in other words, the lights and computer were left off and candles were a'blazing). Sometimes, you just can't count on Mother Nature.
I did very little other than dishes, ordering supplies, and tidying up a bit. I did however work out some fun sketches for a couple little dessert plates I want to paint for myself. I've been meaning to do up some London-themed plates for a while but never nailed down my idea.
Well, it's nailed now and I'm definitely going the oh-so-graphic route of flat black/white paint. I think they'll look charming on the wall (...or with a colorful cupcake underneath...). I'd like to do a similar design on canvas/panel except in very London-like muted hues and brownish grays. We shall see though.
Way, way back I painted up a trio of miniature truffle paintings and they've been hanging out, waiting to be either put up for sale or used in some fashion. I've finally created a little display that fits them quite nicely, I think.
A wee candy shop banner! Peppermint-striped ribbon, truffles, and a framed old photo of my great grandfather from Italy. Perfecto! I bought this awesome pitcher at the thrift store the other day for three dollars and love it. It's currently residing on my bookshelf, but I think it'll look splendid with some fresh flowers in it come next Spring.And this AMAZING little photographer's calling card book I bought at the antique store last month is still making me dance with glee. The cover is completely worn off and the book has long since fallen apart, which is much expected as it's dated from the mid 1800s.
Filled with 18-20 different photo cards (the one above being my fave), which I plan on framing individually and hanging in a grid-pattern on some lucky wall. The best part (besides the fact that it's so old)? It was only $10!! Craziness.

I have a new painting idea a'brewing and I think it will be quite large. I'm hoping to get started on it tomorrow--all other painting/crafting ideas are getting thrust on the back burner for this one. I will certainly keep you all posted!

Keep warm for the weekend!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

haha! :P *I* had no power. Aren't YOU jealous now? I got out my candles and ate macaroons and read a book. It was glorious!

Eggman Studios said...

Phooey on you! :) And now I have the biggest craving for macaroons.

Anonymous said...

oh!! I covet your picture book!! And your London plate ideas are fabulous!! :)

Eggman Studios said...

Thank you, dear Marjorie! I still need to come up with a creative idea for the cover of said book. Hmmm... :)