Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Lets Celebrate With Cider And Pumpkin Muffins

Can I just speak for the country and world at large when I say, "Thank. Goodness."

What a night! What an election! Wow. I think for the first time ever, I am so overwhelmingly proud of my country. And it feels so good to have someone you admire greatly take over the damp and mildewy helm of the ship.

I had a fabulous Halloween with a group of friends and I have lots and lots of costume pics to show you! I know it's November and all, but I hope you bear with my tardiness in some costume show-and-tell. Pumpkin carving, old horror movie a'watchin', junk food eating, drinking, and lots of chatting. I love Halloween. As explained earlier, I went as Little Red Riding Hood (choosing to represent the story more so than just the character). After a week of handsewing and assembling, it all came together and turned out pretty neat.
I made a little red hooded capelet completely from scratch--no pattern, no sewing machine. It turned out better than I was expecting (I didn't have time to line it this time around, but hopefully will get that done one of these days). I already owned the red cotton fabric and the vintage lacy trim I picked up from the thrift store. For the dress, this is what I started with--a vintage 70s Boho dress I bought from Etsy seller MrsRosencranz (image above from her shop). I loved the cut and simplicity of it. It was the perfect blank canvas for the look I was after. After much tweaking, hemming, adding, replacing, and garnishing, this is what I came up with (please forgive my crummy images--it was 3am and I was completely ready to hop in bed). The wolf mask is made of a lightweight paperclay I sculpted and painted then tied to a stick.

Lots of laces, fabric remnants, haphazard stitches, and other bits 'n bobs...
And in my hair I pinned various branches, leaves, sparkly blossoms from the craft store (and even a wee bird's nest!).It was just too fun to assemble and wear about. I wish Halloween was more than once a year.

Well, I'm off to get some coffee in my blood and some paint on my fingers! Happy November everyone! I'll be back later this week with some art sneak peeks plus a blog giveaway (and it's a good one). Stay warm!

5 comments:

Cat said...

Just have to say...Love your blog!

I also love Pumpkins muffins!

Your costume turned out fantastic!

Rachel said...

You should have been rich and lived 150 years ago so you could attend fancy dancy costume balls. :) That's an awesome costume! I didn't get to do anything fun, I had a midterm to study for Nov 1. *sigh*

OBAMA WON! OBAMA WON! *gleeful*

Christina Silverio said...

Gorgeous costume! Wow! It turned out wonderfully. :)

Eggman Studios said...

Kisses to all you ladies! :) Thank you for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

oh!! I LOVE this!! Your costume is amazing, and the dress......such a Dear of a dress! Your embellishments are delightful!!